Saturday, May 28, 2011

We could have had it all

Back from the cruise!
I got a fab massage, jet-ski-ed, mini-golf-ed, and got myself a tan. ah, life is good. (My tan's gone though)
Completely relaxing and well-needed trip with the family. 
Don't really like cruises though... I realise I love my holidays where I'm exploring a country
I get bored easily. Cruise ships are fun for awhile but prob not something I wanna make a regular thing
I rather travel. Whoo. More fun! :)
though I have to admit, I missed my sister.
Weird going for a trip w/o her. She would have accompanied me on the rock-climbing wall. damn. 

Got pics! :)

Purely cam-whoring with my shades

My high-waist skirt is pure awesomeness!


Check out the water track left by the ship! so cool!

Sanjay jetskis off w/o me. That's me waiting for him to get back

lazy to post others. just gonna make a private album in fb.

Anyways, a weird idea 'bout guys and manners came up during the trip that got me thinking. We all talked about it and stuff. I guess it all started when we had this cruise night and it was "suit/tie and cocktail dresses" as the dress code. Other than the African Americans and the Whites and some of the other people there, so many people were so under-dressed. Saw a guy in a polo tee and jeans. Saw ladies who wore sundresses. COME ON! if you don't know the attire, google it! It makes you look so freakin' sloppy! Anyways, we had a conversation when we went for dinner at the fine dining restaurant on the ship called Romeo and Juliet and it all started when Shyam pulled out a chair for me to sit. Nothing new, he and his brother do it all the time when we;re out at a restaurant as a family. But it did get me thinking after seeing the polo tees and sun dresses.

(Cousin Shyam pulls out chair for me at the fine dining restaurant. both boys wait till I sit to sit)

Me: You know what, the whole world keeps saying Chivalry is dead. Esp in Singapore. But you guys prove them wrong!
Sanjay: Chivalry was never dead in Singapore. It never existed.
Me: ah true! how often is it that any guy who takes you out to dinner opens the door for you or pulls out the chair for you? I mean I'm not saying at burger king or sth you know. I meant like a restaurant.
Sanjay: Even if I dont have the chance to pull out a chair for a girl, I would atleast wait till she seats first. Its basic gentlemanliness
Me: Wah paerims, the boys are awesome man. Till today, cousin or friend, they have never failed to pull my chair out when we're going for dinner. Or even open doors.
Aunt: Really??
Me: Yep, gosh, rare guys!
Aunt: Good breeding, darling. Good breeding.

Fine dining etiquette was sth I learnt cuz I do it quite often with the family but even if one doesn't. Its probably important to learn. Its not about showing off or standing out. Its about not being sloppy and not messing with the integrity or location. Imagine you have a client when you grow up? you gotta learn which are the places and how to behave there anyways! Everything I learnt about right attitudes and ettiqute was from my family.....like my aunt properly put : Breeding. But you dont have to have learnt all this from family. Any decent guy who wants to take a girl out on a proper date at a restaurant...or simply wants to be a gentlemen shud prob know all this damn things. And ppl shudn't say SINGAPORE and use that as an exception. It makes us seem like we are people who are not rightly brought up and have no class.

Good breeding indeed. Why don't guys in Singapore actually bother? Its not about being classy or over the top or anything. Its simply being a gentleman. Simple things that you just gotta learn, whether u're gonna use it or not.

Learn how to open a wine bottle. A complete turn off when u share a wine bottle with your date and u have trouble opening the cork.

Learn the etiquette's of fine dining. Its bloody simple actually. Starters always start from the outside of the utensils then work your way in. Dessert utensils are usually on top. Food is generally served to all the ladies first. Works the same with the wine. Hold open the chair for a lady and push it in when she about to completely sit. Place the napkin on your nap(NOT AROUND YOUR NECK -_-)

Learn the etiquette of wine. Always hold a wine glass by the stem(drives me nuts when people hold the cup. There's a reason why ppl say to do this. It to prevent the heat from you hands from messing with the chilled wine.) Never chill red wine, though it ok to prob chill it abit(I like it a little chilled.) but always chill white. Red wine goes the more rounded glass, white in the slightly thinner. When you open the wine, you always smell the cork first, then do a taste with the wine(swirl lightly then taste). Only then do you pour the drink to the proper level.

Try to be nice: Hold open doors for people, offer to carry bags and always let a lady sit before you do. Its only simple courtesy.

Date Drinks: When you're on a date, and in a restaurant that is posh or sth and you order drinks for the table, ask the lady what she wants. If its a surprise or if you wanna take charge, always order wine! Don't be stupid and order a beer or hard liquor at a restaurant when your having dinner! Its stupid!

Its funny, I SHOULD'T HAVE TO BE BLOGGING ABOUT THIS. People should know. Every time I convince myself chivalry is dead is Singapore, ppl like my cousins prove me wrong. It says something. It means that it possible that ppl in spore can do this. They just don't want to.  Lazy bums is what I call them.

On a lighter note, its G's birthday! and his sister's too. Went to their 21st today. So here's a shoutout to the twins(esp g! can't help it la, i'm biased. hehe) 


Happy 21st birthday Ganesh!:)

-Rolling in the Deep by Adele(MY GOD, I love this woman!)-

No comments:

Post a Comment