Thursday, July 14, 2011

A different lover is not a sin

Does this darkness have a name? This cruelty this hatred. How did it find us, did it steal into our lives or did we seek it out and embrace it? What happened to us that we now send our children into the world like we send young men to war, hoping for their safe return but knowing some will be lost along the way. When did we lose our way? Consumed by the shadows swallowed whole by the darkness. Does this darkness have a name...is it your name? - Lucas Scott (One Tree Hill)


I read the blog post of an old friend recently and it got me thinking about the whole gay rights issue that has forever been an ongoing debate.


Don't get me wrong, I'm as straight as an arrow but yet I can see the plight of those who choose to love away from the norm. What exactly is wrong with that?  The idea that God or the universe made us a certain way and its the only way to live is absurd. We make our own choices in the world and while I'm not religious, I do believe that God gives us the chance to make that choice, be it right or wrong. The right to love someone, regardless of gender, is still a right. You can't beat the gay out of someone anymore than they can beat the ignorance out of u. 


I saw this in the words of a person struggling everyday, simply because of who he is:


"..while it was easy for me to come to terms with my sexuality, it took me a while before i opened up to people..... at times, even being in a setting of all gay people, i feel that i just have to conceal my sexuality. whatever my reason behind that, i have totally no idea. "


So stop the hate. It seems ridiculous that while we have more problems in the world like hunger and poverty, we add on to the hate by simply making a small issue even bigger. 


I love this: credits to tumblr.
-Born this way by Lady Gaga(no other song could have done this post justice)

No comments:

Post a Comment