Thursday, September 2, 2010

Call It Education

Had the first day of my many many long days in NTU today
Was pretty cool I had to admit.
The free stuff?? JEEZ where do they get all the money from...
The acting chair and the provosts, they were hilarious and absolutely intelligent guys.
Man, i already respect them immensely before they teach me anything.
A couple of lessons and wise words i took from today
"The only stupid question is a question not asked." I really liked that line by Prof Bertil Andersson
One hilarious fella: "You can fail whatever subject you want but you must get a distinction in dating"

There was one speaker too. Honestly can't rmb his name:
"Do not think for a second that this is school. The best graduates are the noisiest, the ones who ask the most questions and the ones who bother to ask the extremely basic question. I teach Aerospace Engineering and I had a student once who came to class and once said: Prof, I know i chose this course but what in the world is Aerospace? It was a question that many cringed when he asked. I however, shook his hand and said he may have juz asked the best question"

I think I made the right choice. Hearing the words of seniors and the reactions of others when they hear my major may have made me doubt my choice at one point or another but there's one thing i'm certain about: that nothing intrigues more than this subject. I love how the myths of psychology the public believes are trashed and torn apart here. Psychology isn't about reading minds, making people listen or pure conjecture. It is the contempory study of one's pure being. Feel, understand, make sense of, QUESTION every nature, every little bit of detail: the differences in the way we react to situations. It is the biological bases of behaviour, sensation and perception, memory, thought and language, social behaviour, intelligence, motivation, learning, personality and development that all comprises the study of psychology. I knew I liked it, I just never knew I was beginning to get extremely enlightened. And yes, I've been warned about the nature of the study. That there will days where memorising the entire text would be the only way to pass. Or that no matter what you write your essay fails. Or that no matter how much you break your head, you would never be able to come up with a perfectly good answer to a question that the Prof couldn't contradict. 

But there wasn't a time where I opened a textbook even before school started and tried to read through a whole chapter.

Ah the things I can learn from this course and the people who teach it. Sky's the limit. I've never been so interested to learn so much; guess it definitely makes the difference when you're doing what you love. I finally made up my mind on my electives: ACTING AND REPRESENTATION IN THEATRE AND FILM & INTRODUCTION TO MAGICAL REALISM.
My 4 day week no longer exists but i'm ok with that. I would have a 5 day week to study what i get to do. Pretty excited, classes start next week. 


-Education by Modest Mouse-

No comments:

Post a Comment